Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Backstory so that we are on the same page

Read my "Crazy Black Woman's" blog to learn more about me.

Backstory: I am very smart, I am accomplished, I have achieved much in my life. I have wonderful parents, who were stern sometimes, but that was because I needed it. But, my family has always achieved great things. That is my heritage and I am its legacy in this "post-racial" world. I hold a PhD in molecular genetics and have published and presented several scientific papers all over the world. NONE of that matters because I suffer from bipolar disorder II (hypomania). All I wanted to do is to take my own life and I did attempt 3 times as a teen for reasons so inane... I cry when I think of those times. But I know, my story is unleashed to protect others like me: Black women who suffer from mental angst--you are NOT alone, there are many of us and we have found our voice!

While selfishly focusing on my own issues, I realized many other women, Black women, suffered from similar mental health issues and posting their issues on unsafe, cyberbullying, and racist social networks. There was an absence of cultural competency and younger women were paying a hefty mental health price leaving them disillusioned and depressed. So, I started an "Isle in a Torrential Ocean in Cyberspace"--The Ariafya Universe, the Americanization of 2 KiSwahili words combined to mean the following: Zeal, Enthusiasm, Eagerness, Initiative, Spirit, Keenness, Inventiveness, Health, Well-Being, Strength, Vigor, and Power!

The Ariafya Universe is an "Isle Sanctuary", a place of solace or place of refuge to find one's peace and regroup, rejuvenate and re-tool. A place that will listen, with compassionate presence and appreciative inquiry, motivational introspection with encouraging questions, reflective listening. The goal is to empower participants to seek real-time licensed mental health and wellness professionals.

At The Ariafya Universe women of color can be heard, supported and allowed to express themselves in a nonjudgmental environment where they can grow to be their best selves. Soon, health and wellness coaching will be brought to the foray where there can be a realistic forward motion toward mentally healthy actions. I am devoted to this one area because of my pain of suffering from suicidal ideation as a teenager to poor interpersonal relationships to blossoming into being a positive force for all awkward women, such as myself. I have reinvented myself many times, and grieve for the loss of my scientific career. But, the skills I have gained were meant to be an owner of a social networking mental health and wellness support and resource groups, and then, a Wellcoaches certified health and wellness coach business.